Saturday, July 30, 2011

Family Favorite: Pineapple upside-down cake

Pineapple upside-down cake has been a favorite in my family for as long as I can remember. My mom made it for us when we were just kids and at almost 93 still enjoys baking one from time to time. And like my mom, I too have enjoyed baking them for my family. A favorite of the men in the family, I often make one on birthdays and holidays.
We recently celebrated our 5 and 2-year-old grandsons birthdays. Their birthdays are within a few months apart so we had a small celebration for them both, they live out-of-state. We had a nice gathering with some family at a friends house. I picked up a cake on the way and had it decorated with Kung Fu Panda - a favorite of the boys as well as Papa and I.
The gathering was very nice - visiting, swimming and grilling and then cake time! Nope,  I never got past the kitchen counter with the cake. As I was heading outside with the cake and presents I proceeded to lose total control of the cake and flipped it totally upside-down!
My sweet grandson however, was very sincere after seeing the cake and politely asked after one look, "Can I have a candy bar grandma?"
It's now a week later and time for papa's birthday - and what does papa request? A pineapple upside-down cake! No problem, I'm a pro at upside-down cakes!
My grandsons were very excited when I told them they could make papas upside-down cake and very curious about how you would bake a cake upside down. This cake may not be the prettiest pineapple upside-down cake out there, but according to papa - the main ingredient was the best - LOVE - from his boys.
The recipe I make starts with the basics, a Duncan Hines box cake mix. My favorite part is the topping so I really indulge. You'll notice in the photos that I also used blueberries where traditionally people use cherries (my boys request). And the Wall-e birthday candle was also picked out by my grandson who explained that we had to use a Wall-e candle for Papa (Wally). I couldn't of agreed more.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and would love to post your Pineapple upside-down cake recipe or any other favorite recipe you may have. Enjoy!
Pineapple upside-down cake
1 Box Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix (mix according to direction but I like to replace at least half of the water with the juice from the pineapples.
1 20 ounce can sliced pineapples
1 20 ounce can crushed pineapples (well drained)
1 1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 small can maraschino cherries or replace with fresh blueberries
Optional chopped walnuts is also good

Directions
Melt butter and pour into bottom of 13 x 9 baking pan. Add brown sugar and mix well.
Spoon well-drained crushed pineapple over entire bottom of pan over sugar and butter mixture (do not mix)
Arrange pineapple slices on bottom of pan and place either cherries or blueberries in centers of pineapple slices.
Mix cake mix according to directions and pour over pineapple topping in pan.
Place on center rack at 325 degrees for at least 45 minutes or until top springs up when pushed or well browned.
After removing from oven, place flat platter or sheet cake pan on top of cake and flip upside-down. (The boys really liked this part).
Slowly remove 9 x 13 pan (careful, will be hot).
Allow to cool completely.
Beautiful!
Now enjoy as we did.
Hope to hear from you soon - VA



Family Events
If you're looking for some fun to beat the hot weather, look no further than Waterford Oaks. From the Tropical -theme wave pool,  Dual-flume Slidewinder Waterslide and wave-action pool to the Big Bucket Ragin' Rapids, there's plenty to do. Take the family and enjoy any day until 7 p.m. through the end of August. Check out their website at DestinationOakland.com for detailed information and photos. 

5 comments:

  1. best of luck on the new blog!!

    I am just CRAZY about your masthead (or whatever they call it in the blog world lol)...LOVE IT!

    BTW pineapple upside down cake is one of my ALL TIME faves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! The great design is by fellow OP staffer Val West - she's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should bring in some of that cake to the staff :) Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I will and it is! Just have to figure out how to get it out of my house - hubby's fav :)

    ReplyDelete