Monday, August 29, 2011

Family Recipe: Chocolate Cream Extreme

OMG! This cake screams delicious. My sister Diane gets an A+ for this recipe. The paring of chocolate cake and a cream cheese and whipped cream blend filling, all topped with a milk chocolate icing, makes this the perfect Bundt cake.
My sister Diane and her Chocolate Cream Extreme Bundt Cake
 
She made this for the annual family 4th of July celebration, where in my family, there is never a shortage of desserts. I missed the holiday bash because I was on my way back from Kansas City with our fabulous grandsons. However, I was told that not even a morsel could be found after dinner.
We have a tradition that we started for my mom after the passing of my father. We would designate a day - once a week - where we would all get together at her house. It's been 13 years now and the tradition still goes on. One thing that evolved since the start of this tradition, is that we celebrate each of our birthdays with our favorite cake. Although it always seems we have much, much more than just the birthday cake.
Like this Poppyseed cake that I baked for my niece Nena (center). I've been making this for her for years. So on her birthday recently at my mom's, she had one of her favorites to go along with the featured Chocolate Cream Extreme cake. And that wasn't all either, we also had another family favorite (Pecan pie). But you'll have to come back for that - it's another sister and another recipe.

.
My niece Nena (center) about to blow out the candles of one of her favorite cakes 'Poppyseed Bundt.'
Now for the featured recipe: As soon as my sister cut into this bundt cake, I was sold. Sometimes just one look and you already know you're going to love it. So, make it for yourself and your family and let me know your thoughts, you can leave them right here by commenting. I would love to hear from you.


A slice of Heaven
Ingredients (Cake)
1 box Pillsbury chocolate cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
1 small box Jello brand chocolate instant pie filling
1 can Pillsbury milk chocolate frosting
2 Tbl water
 Filling
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 8 ounce Philadelphia cream cheese
1 8 ounce Kraft Cool Whip


Directions
Prepare cake according to directions. Mix in package of chocolate instant pudding and mix well. Batter will be stiff, add 2 tablespoons of water and finish mixing.
Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake according to directions.
While cake is baking prepare filling.
Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla with mixer until smooth and fluffy. Fold in Cool whip until well blended. Set aside.
When cake is done, remove from oven and place on wire rack. Take a knife and run it along the outside of the cake to prevent sticking.
Invert cake onto a plate and cool completely.
Using a sharp knife, slice cake evenly from side to side. Gently separate the top half of the cake from the bottom half and set aside.
Spread filling evenly on bottom half of cake and gently replace top half.
Completely frost entire cake with milk chocolate frosting.
Now enjoy!
Variations
 Add an extra cup of Cool Whip topping for a fluffier filling. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the milk chocolate frosting. Melt frosting in microwave and drizzle over top of frosted cake. Garnish with fresh strawberries or raspberries and this cake could be served at any of your finer restaurants.

 I would like to thank my dear sweet sister Diane for not only making this amazing cake for us, but also for sharing this recipe with me and all of you. 

Be sure to check back for my sister Mae's Pecan Pie!
Enjoy! VA


No comments:

Post a Comment