Wednesday, September 14, 2011

REVIEW: Milk Chocolate Brownies

Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Brownies

I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur when it comes to brownies. I've baked, bought and sampled all varieties. I like the Blondie brownies, but my preference is most definitely chocolate. And to be fair, I've never tried butterscotch brownies. I'm not sure why other than I simply always reach for the chocolate!

There is a couple recipes that I love and make often that are made with butterscotch chips. Butterscotch oatmeal cookies (who don't love these!) - I always make butterscotch oatmeal cookies at Christmas time and my favorite from one of my first postings was my terrific daughter-in-law Jessica and her awesome cake "Chocolate Passion." Although the recipe calls for Sanders Caramel topping, I have used both caramel and a caramel/butterscotch mix and it's was equally as scrumptious.
When Betty Crocker sent me a sample of their new Milk Chocolate Brownies, I couldn't wait to bake them.

So once again, I decided to bake them and share with the staff at The Oakland Press. It's a great way to treat them and get a lot of feedback on the product. (I hope they don't get too spoiled).

But before I share their comments with you, let me tell you what I thought about these brownies.

Wonderful! I loved the texture of these brownies. They are soft and slightly chewy with a gentle chocolate flavor. I immediately noticed the lighter color of these brownies as I removed them from the oven, it left no doubt that they were milk chocolate.
I made these in a 9 x 13 size pan, but if you want a thicker brownie you could bake in a smaller 9 x 9 pan. Myself, I prefer the thinner chewier brownie over a thicker stickier textured brownie. Although, I think these would still have more of that soft and chewy texture that I love.
If a "cake-like" thick brownie is what you're looking for - it's probably not going to be this brownie. I love chocolate cake, but if I want cake - I'll bake a cake!
I stuck to the recipe when baking these brownies, but next time I'll make a couple changes. I'll add some walnuts and because of the mild milk chocolate, not-too-sweet flavor,  I will frost with the Betty Crocker milk chocolate frosting.
Pick up a box of Betty Crocker's Milk Chocolate Brownies or any of their other fabulous brownie mixes and bake them yourself and your family. Kids love brownies, a glass of milk and one of these brownies will say "I Love You" after a long week at school!
Let me know what you thought about them by leaving your comment right here. Would love your feedback.
Now here's what The Oakland Press newsroom had to say:

Katie Bontinen: They were chewy which is my favorite type of brownie! 5-Stars!

Dustin Blitcho: Your brownie was GREAT...perfect consistency! It almost brought a tear to my eye, thinking of countless nights spent huddled in my Detroit tenement, eating cereal with a fork due to a self-induced shortage of clean dishes...

Steve Frye: This brownie was very good... chewy, not too sweet. I'd eat five more.

Nicole Robertson: These were tasty, but didn't seem any different from other brownies I've eaten. Of course, I prefer them with walnuts, so if I were making those, I WOULD add the nuts. :)

Carol Hopkins: I like brownie's texture - but am longing for even more chocolatey flavor

Dave Phillips: It was good. Nice texture, not too dry but not too moist. I would eat it again.

Shaun Byron: a little too chewy, but still better than store bought.

Kathy Blake: They are delicious, the perfect level of chocolate and chewey goodness.

Valerie West: The texture was perfectly chewy - could be thicker, but who really needs those extra calories. The color was a lighter brown, perhaps because it was milk chocolate? You bring the chocolate, I'll bring the milk - 4 stars!

Julie Jacobson: These brownies were awesome. I love the unadulterated flavor of pure milk chocolate, no chocolate chips or chocolate drizzles making it too complicated. These were just the plain/moist/creamy/chewy texture of a brownie that I could eat an entire pan full.


There you have it - straight from those that know what they like!




I enjoyed reviewing this product from Betty Crocker - it was both fun and delicious! If you would like to send me your product (food, gadgets) for review or your favorite recipe, I would love to hear from you.
Until next time - VA

No comments:

Post a Comment